What to look for in your next home
June 23, 2022
It is important to take the time to find what specific property meets your wants and needs. The main key points to look for are the location/neighborhood, number of bedrooms and bathrooms, floor plan, lighting, windows, and lastly the style of your preferred home.
Location and Neighborhood
You want to make sure that the location fits the needs of your lifestyle. Begin looking at what is around the neighborhood for your future home.
- If you are planning to have children or already have children, looking at schools in the neighborhood is a great start.
- Everyone wants to live in a safe neighborhood, so start by looking at the crime rate in the surrounding area.
Number of bedrooms and bathrooms
If you plan on having children in the future, it is best to purchase a home with multiple bedrooms. These extra bedrooms can also be used as an office space, gym, or craft room. You also want to make sure you have enough bathrooms for your family’s needs.
The type of floor plan you choose can create the entire mood of your home. The three different floor plans are traditional, contemporary, and custom.
- Traditional floor plans tend to have rooms and spaces that are divided. Traditional floor plans allow for more design options and a cozier feeling environment.
- Contemporary floor plans are more commonly known as open floor plans. These floor plans allow for better natural lighting and a more spacious feel.
- Custom floor plans allow you to create your own layout. Potentially being a combination of both traditional and contemporary.
Lighting and windows
Lighting can make an extreme difference in your home’s look and feel. Natural lighting has the best overall benefit to your health. Bright LED lights are linked to reducing the production of melatonin. It is best to have windows throughout the home to retain all the benefits of natural light.
Type of home
There are multiple different styles of homes that you can choose from. Below are some of the most popular
A colonial home is known widely as a traditional style of home. This style became popular during the United States colonial era, hence its name. This family home has a rectangular shape with symmetrical windows and usually is a neutral color.
The contemporary home style is a modern home today. These homes are simple and minimalistic. A majority of these homes are a neutral color inside and out.
Ranch-style homes are single-level homes that have an open layout. Most ranches also have a good size patio space.
A Cottage style home is a smaller home that has a cozy feel. These homes tend to have a high focus on landscaping.
These are the main key elements when looking at any property. Once you can narrow down what your preferences are for you next house, the right home will come to you.